Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for Ben’s skills in wood working.  Of course I am always thankful that he is my wonderful husband, but today I want to be specific.  Am I allowed to brag a little bit?  During college Ben worked for Mike Greene – an expert furniture builder in North Carolina.  Be learned a lot and also had the opportunity to use Mr. Greene’s shop to work on some of his own projects.  Did you know he built our bed?  It was my wedding present.  I knew he was working on it, but I didn’t get to see it until we moved into our first apartment.  This is what it looks like:

Moving In to Virginia Beach

Then when we found out we were expecting Elaine, Ben decided he wanted to build the crib.  We made two trips back to North Carolina.  Elaine sleeps in a one-of-a-kind, heirloom type crib that we hope will get passed down through the generations.

Building the Baby CribBen and the completed crib, before it was stained & finished.

Ben's Furniture PortfolioElaine’s lovely crib

I know Ben enjoys doing these projects.  It also saves a little bit of money, and allows us to have exactly the piece of furniture we wanted.  The reason that all of this comes to mind on Thankful Thursday, is that Ben has started another project.  It is my Christmas present, but it’s hard to be surprise so I already know what it is.

Brooklyn Apartment - Living Room

See that little roll top desk?  It was my mom’s.  Dad started refinishing it a while ago.  Mom gave it to use when we got married so we would have some furniture in our house.  Ben took it to the shop on Monday and he is refinishing it on his lunch hour.  Another nice piece in our home that my hubby has made.  I am so thankful!

Comments