Happy Day After Veterans Day


american-flag1I know that Veteran’s Day was yesterday, but I still want to add my post to the sentiment’s already expressed in appreciation for our soldiers.  Ben pointed out to me yesterday that most of our holidays commemorate the dead.  Veteran’s Day honors and remembers the living.

Merriam Webster’s dictionary defines a veteran as “an old soldier of long service; a former member of the armed forces.”  Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day, and it celebrated the end of the war in 1918.  It is now a legal holiday in the United States to honor the members of the armed forces.

My dad served in the US Air Force for eight and a half years.  I was born in England while he was stationed there.  My Grandpa Paul served in the Army during the Korean War, though he was never deployed.  My Uncle Lewis also served in the Army.  Ben’s Grandpa Hamilton served in the US Air Force, and his Grandpa Kuenzi served in the Swiss service.

I am grateful for the men in my family, and those who are my friends, who have given of their time and life to serve and protect our great country.  It is good to remember that freedom is not free, and that it is purchased at a great price.  I want to honor our veterans – even though it is a day late!

Comments