The Polo Club North

On May 17th I garnered all of my bravery and nerves and boarded a plane for Denver…to see my parents…with both of my children…all by myself.  I was very nervous about the flight, but the Lord answered all of the prayers offered on my behalf, because my kids were akin to angels.  {For the flight only}.

On the Airplane to Denver
Leaving Brooklyn on a bright & sunny day!

Last year, my parents made a big career change and accepted a job as the Resident Managers for a gated community in Denver – the Polo Club North.  It was a good change for my dad as his bad knees were making roofing harder and harder.  It was a hard change for my mom – she now has work hours and responsibilities, she gave up her garden and home {complete with newly remodeled master bathroom}, to live in a two bedroom “apartment” over the clubhouse office.  But I think she may be getting adjusted to everything, and she might even tell you that she likes the new place.

I had never visited the Polo Club before, so I was really looking forward to this trip.  There are definite perks – an indoor swimming pool, hot tub, duck pond, and beautiful grounds.  There are definite drawbacks – like being available to the residents all the time.  Seriously…sometimes the doorbell would ring at 7 a.m.!

I want to document our trip, so let’s start by introducing you to the grounds of the Polo Club North!

The Polo Club Grounds
The guard house, after entering the Polo Club North.  The clubhouse and my parent’s house is to the right of this picture.

The Polo Club Grounds
The Clubhouse.  The office is in the bottom of the right portion, and my parents live upstairs.  They have a balcony at the rear.  The rest of the building is the clubhouse, including the pool and “fitness” area, with tennis courts in the back.

The Polo Club Grounds
Elaine loved the rocks and pond.

The Polo Club Grounds
Part of the duck pond.  The residents don’t actually own the properties, so there are no fences dividing the homes.  They are all duplex-style, but they are referred to as roof-mates.

The Polo Club Grounds
We were looking for baby ducks.  There were over 30 of them this year, but a resident hawk apparently had a feast.  On our last day we finally spotted the final six ducklings.

The Polo Club Grounds
The Polo Club is in Denver, so there are highrises right outside the gate.  Not as many as Brooklyn!

The Polo Club Grounds
My dad’s daily chores including checking/cleaning the pool & pond…even on the weekends.  He has to clean the traps/filters for the pond.  Elaine loved riding in the Kubota to help “Pa” with his chores!

The Polo Club Grounds

The Polo Club Grounds
The Polo Club is not only home to 125 residents…but also an eagret! 

Baby ducks
Mama and the last 6 ducklings.

Driving the golf cart
Mom takes care of residents’ mail and houseplants if they leave {many have a winter/summer home in another state}.  She uses the golf cart to do her “errands” in the community.  Elaine also enjoyed driving it!

Driving the golf cart

Next time we’ll show you the highlights of our week of activities.  Stay tuned for picture overload!

Comments