From My Kitchen: Breakfast Cookies

There are several new-to-us recipes which have quickly become favorites.  I have been meaning to share them for a while, but I never got around to it.  So here they are!  I hope you will love them as much as we do!  I will post them in several posts so that they are easier to find/print.

Breakfast Cookies
Recipe from Pam Odd at  Keeping Life Creative

Ingredients:  Breakfast Cookies
  • 2 cups wheat flakes (such as Total or Wheaties)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F. Crush wheat flakes with a rolling pin. In a bowl, mix yogurt, egg, oil, and vanilla. Add crushed wheat flakes, flour, sugar, wheat germ, salt, and baking soda. Mix well then add dried cranberries. Place by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet and bake for approx. 10 minutes or until set.  Variation: omit dried cranberries and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top of the cookies before baking. My kids’ favorite part!!

Breakfast Cookies

My kids don’t really like these, but I sure do!  They are made from crushed shredded wheat cereal, wheat germ, and yogurt.  I used Greek yogurt to add a punch of protein.  They are great in the freezer, and you can just pop a couple out when you need a quick snack.  We opted to forego the cranberries for a little sprinkle of sugar before baking.

Comments