Thankful Thursday

It’s been a while since I posted a Thankful Thursday post.  I’ve kinda fallen off in my blogging lately.  I was sorting through pictures and catching up on things this week.  I came across the pictures from my Colorado visit in March.  I was thinking about many things, so today I have a conglomeration for my Thankful Thursday post.  I hope my thoughts come out in an understandable fashion!

First, I am thankful for my parents who have paid for us to fly out and visit several times since Elaine was born.  Now, I realize they have hidden motives.  They really want to see the grandkid, not me!  But I have benefited from the visits and their generosity.

I grew up living near one set of grandparents, and seeing the other set of grandparents on a fairly regular basis.  It is different for our family now to be away from everyone familiar as we live and minister in New York City.  This makes me so thankful for our church family who have helped to fill the gap of our far-away family!

I’m thankful that Elaine has been blessed to get to know both sets of her grandparents pretty well in her short life.  We are a short three hour drive away from Ben’s family, and we have enjoyed several weekend visits with them since we moved to NYC.  I already mentioned that we have seen my parents on several visits also.  Skype is another blessing that makes it easier when you are far away from loved ones.

When I went to college I majored in missions and intended to spend the rest of my life on the foreign mission field.  New York City is definitely foreign to me in many ways, but it is still in the “homeland”.  Now that I have kids, I am having a difficult time imagining life so far away from loved ones and family members.  Had God led our family outside of the Untied States, I know I would feel as if my kids had “missed out” on a close relationship with their grandparents.  This makes me thankful for so many of my friends who have made that sacrifice to follow God’s leading to the mission field.

Tomorrow I am attending a ladies retreat with our church.  I am looking forward to the weekend, though at first I couldn’t decide if I wanted to go or not.  The speaker is Claudia Barba.  This leads me to another aspect of thankfulness:  the ladies in my life that go by the title of “Mom.”  You see, my mom made it possible for me to attend by paying for the retreat, and Ben’s mom is making it possible for me to attend by coming down to care for Elaine.  Thank you so much!

Let me wrap up with some highlights from the trip to Colorado which Elaine and I made in March.  I think I posted most of it here on my blog,  but if you are interested my mom also blogged about our trip.  I thought you might like to read a different perspective {the grandma viewpoint} and see a few new pictures!

I also blogged about our visit to the Rumparooz showroom.  I posted this on my cloth diaper blog, and you can read about it here.

Have a blessed weekend, and I hope you find many things to be thankful for as well!

Comments

  1. I love Claudia Barba's speaking. Enjoy your ladies' retreat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email address if you need a response to your comment, or check back here to see my reply in the comments section.