“But now is Christ risen from the dead” 1 Corinthians 15:20

Today is Resurrection Sunday (I like that name better than Easter).  I think it is becoming one of my favorite holidays.  The time surrounding it is not hurried and busy like the Christmas season.  The spring time is refreshing after the winter cold and snow.  It’s such a nice Sunday to take and reflect upon Christ’s finished work at Calvary and His resurrection from the grave.

Our Sunday started with beautiful sunshine and warm weather.  The afternoon boasted rain and humidity.  It was so warm at church that we turned on the air conditioners!

When I was growing up I usually got a new spring dress and wore it for the first time on Easter.  Many years my mom made me a dress, and several times we had matching dresses.  Now that I’m “big” I don’t need that many new items in my closet.  The first year we were married Ben bought me a new outfit.  This year he surprised me with a shopping trip for a new maternity blouse!  (I needed something dressy for Kenny’s wedding in June anyway).

Easter 2011

Easter 2011I probably don’t need both pictures, but I wanted to show my baby belly a little bit.  And besides…I’m not often in the pictures, and Ben did such a good job taking these!

Today was also a busy Resurrection Sunday.  This morning’s service began a week of special revival meetings with Missionary Evangelist Chris Stoll.  He and his wife, Zoe, are called to the field of Ireland (where Zoe is from).  They were at our church for the first time during our missions conference in October.  Chris and Zoe have a little boy who is three, and a daughter about Elaine’s age. 

I am also teaching Sunday School this quarter.  I have eight 4 and 5 year olds on the roster.  Everyone was in attendance today, and we had 3 visitors!  My tiny classroom was bursting at the seams.  We even had to go searching for another table and more chairs partway through the class time!  Throughout the lesson the kids would raise their hands and say, “I’m squished.”  It was the truth!

Easter 2011
Back row: Anthony, Faith, Shastya, Becky, Adam, Diesel, Jalen, James
Front row: Aaron, Lexi, Jessica (my visitors)

It was a busy time, but a blessing to review the Crucifixion and Resurrection stories, and to hear some things from a child’s standpoint.  Even when I think they aren’t paying attention…they really are!  Our memory verse was the title of this post – “But now is Christ risen from the dead.”  I was so pleased that everyone quoted it for me – that’s a first!

When I taught my kids about the empty tomb, I was able to show them pictures from the garden tomb (where Jesus may have been buried).  I took the pictures during our trip to Israel in 2009.

PICT0140

PICT0138I love the sign on the door – it is so true!  My “religion” is different from others because I worship a living God!

Easter 2011Elaine in my Sunday School room

Easter 2011
Our family – Resurrection Sunday, 2011.  We all ended up wearing purple!

Easter 2011Elaine was so worn out after church…she fell asleep on the way home and stayed that way for several hours!

We were blessed to host the Stoll’s for Easter dinner, so yesterday I was busy cooking and preparing.  It was fun to plan a scrumptious meal and know that we could share it with another family.  I made a ham dinner with green bean casserole, mashed potatoes (Grandma’s recipe…loaded with sour cream and cream cheese!), Waldorf salad, rolls, and pumpkin pie for dessert.

Ben has been looking forward to this meal all week, and he helped a lot with the preparation.  I confess I have never made a ham before.  I was nervous, but I found a yummy sounding crock-pot recipe.  I used a dressing of peach jam (I still had some homemade), brown sugar and mustard.  Both Ben and I were pleased with the results – the ham was delicious!

Easter 2011

Easter 2011

This was kind of a long rambling about our holiday, but I feel so blessed and happy I wanted to share it with you.  I hope you had a great day as you worshipped the Risen Savior!

Comments

  1. Love your new maternity shirt. So glad you had a good Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT color to wear as a family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email address if you need a response to your comment, or check back here to see my reply in the comments section.