Remembering Gramps

Today marks one year since my Gramps stepped into eternity with Jesus.  I can hardly believe that it has been a year.  (Read more here and here). I’m sure the time has dragged by for Grams as she has had to make many life adjustments. 

I was thinking about Gramps this week.  I was remembering everything that took place at this time last year.  I was leaving the Bay Mart after a regular shopping trip.  Elaine was in the stroller.  Mom called and I cheerfully answered the phone.  She said, “It’s not happy news that I’m calling with.  Gramps is in critical condition.”  Gramps is the first loved one that I have lost, and it was very sudden.  I just didn’t expect to hear my mom say those words.

After Dad and his siblings made it to Oklahoma to say their goodbyes, the decision was made to remove Gramps from life support.  It was very early in the morning.  Dad called me right afterward Gramps because I am an hour ahead and he knew I would be awake.  It was one of the few times that I remember hearing my dad cry.

I remember talking to Grams on the phone.  I needed some funeral details in order to book a bereavement airfare.  For lack of knowing what to say, I asked how she was.  Her response was, “God is good.”  What a response in such a time of sadness!

As I thinking about these things, I also thought about these verses in 1 Thessalonians 4:

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.  15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I’m comforted by the promise that we will see Gramps again.  In fact, if the Lord tarries, Gramps will be one of the first ones to meet Jesus in the air.  It’s sad when I remember that he is not here on earth with us anymore, but it makes me jealous to think that he is already in heaven, worshipping the Lord along with the angels.

Christmas in ColoradoGramps, Grams, and me – Christmas 2008

Godby Family Reunion in Arkansas
The last time I saw Gramps – family reunion in Arkansas, June 2010

Gramps' Funeral
This has become one of my favorite pictures – Wesley, Me, Elaine, Grams, and Kenny after Gramps’ memorial service.

Grams – I love you and I’m praying for you today.

Comments