It’s been one of those days!

Elaine is sick.  And Ben is sick.  And I am sick. 

We were snowed in on Saturday.  And Sunday.  And today. 

Elaine was awake at 9 p.m.  And midnight.  And 5:30 a.m.  And 8 a.m.  And 9:30 a.m.  And the rest of day.

She can’t sleep.  She can’t eat.  She can’t breathe.  But she can sure cry!

Today was Ben’s day to spend in prayer and the Word to help determine God’s will regarding New York City.  And all Elaine did was cry. 

I was (am) exhausted.  I feel bad for my baby because I know she feels bad.  But I was trying so hard.  Why wouldn’t she nurse?  Why couldn’t she sleep?  Why did she have to keep crying?  All day?

Things started to look up when Ben left for class tonight.  Elaine nursed for a whole half-hour.  (Is that a contradiction?)  She filled a diaper.  She was happy.  I put her in the floor to play.  Naked, because that’s her favorite way to be. I was cleaning up the dishes.  I always put her on a diaper on a changing pad on a blanket.  Just in case.

Elaine is getting very wiggly, and she can roll over onto one side.  As Ben puts it, “She keeps getting off the reservation,” meaning my layers of absorbability.  I kept putting her back.  I was almost finished in the kitchen when I turned around to wipe off the table.  And then I saw it.  A nice, runny, fresh, smelly pile of you-know-what.  Off the reservation.  On the blanket.  Of course.  I took the mess to spray it out and put it in the washer.  And when I turned around…you guessed it…she had made another mess.  On another diaper.  Bummer.

It’s been one of those days.  Now the house is quiet.  Elaine is (finally) sleeping…for now.  And I am sitting down to read my Bible.  At last.  I’ve been “just getting” to that all day.  And now my day is over.  As Anne Shirley said in Anne of Green Gables, “Tomorrow is always fresh.”  I can’t wait for tomorrow!

Comments