Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ready for Take-Off

Last Thursday we embarked on an adventure.  I told you a little bit about it here.  We made it to the airport in good time.  There was no line to check our bags at the curb, so we gave the guy a little tip and avoided the long line inside.  It made it so much more smooth and easy – no juggling baby, stroller, toddler, and 4 suitcases.  Totally worth the tip, and so glad I had some cash on me!

We found ourselves sitting in a very hot, crowded waiting room because another flight was delayed.  It was only 10:30 a.m., but we were starved so we broke out the PBJ sandwiches I had packed. 

I was in a row with Elaine and Nolan, and I started out with Liberty in my lap.  Ben thought Nehemiah was smelly, so he traded babies with me.  He then took my iPhone and enjoyed the free TV – featuring MLB!  He had a nice quiet ride.  My side of the plane…not so much!

Right off the bat, Nolan took his snack bag of Cheez-Its.  He crunched them up, unzipped the bag, and dumped them all over his lap.  After the stewardess delivered the Oreo cookie crisp snacks a little while later, he did the same thing.  I was like that mom who can’t control her kid.


We started off watching Cinderella.  That didn’t last long.  We got out the coloring stuff.  Nolan made his artwork on the tray table instead of the paper, so we put the coloring away.  We had snack time.  Elaine decided to shut the window shade.  She got her finger stuck.  I tried to help, but discovered I was still buckled.  I got my seat belt off, but then had to avoid squishing the baby and Nolan while getting her finger un-stuck with one hand.  I was so proud of her for not screaming – she really showed self-restraint!  {And wouldn’t you know it…Nolan did the same thing a few minutes later.  But he screamed. A lot.}

Elaine had to use the potty.  Of course, the baby had just fallen asleep and when I passed him off to Ben, he woke up.  And he woke up his sister.  So much for Daddy’s quiet ride.  When we finally made it back to our seats, Nolan  had to “go” too.  His favorite line is “Me too, Mommy.”  He doesn’t like to be left out of anything.  And by the way…potty training in an airplane?  Not such a great idea.


Nolan did not like the turbulence.  IT meant the seatbelt light illuminated, and Mommy told him to sit down with his buckle on.  Nope – he didn’t like that one bit.  I felt like the kid on a long road trip.  I was constantly asking Ben what time it was.  Three and a half hours never seemed so long!

Elaine and Nolan did enjoy the view from the airplane.  At first Elaine said that we were in the water because all she could see was blue sky.  She enjoyed flying through the cloud, and the turning for our descent.  My tummy never likes those turns!

We finally made it to Denver and were greeted by Grandma who got permission to meet us at the gate.  So glad to let the kids run to baggage claim!

Upon arriving at my parent’s house, Elaine and Nolan got a special surprise.  I should say The Lone Ranger and Tonto got a special present.  Grandpa bought them holsters and toy guns – complete with “red smoke” (as Elaine calls the red rings of caps that the guns fire).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email address if you need a response to your comment, or check back here to see my reply in the comments section.