Mom’s Fellowship

Last year I won a copy of Erin Davis’ book Beyond Bath Time.  I was hungry for mom-fellowship and the book encouraged us to start a mom’s group/Bible study to share the motherhood journey {both ups and downs}.  I desperately wanted to be a part of a group like the book described, but I was nervous and a little shy about starting a group myself.  I talked to Ben, I prayed, I waited, but I didn’t take action. 

I tried to partake in the ladies prayer breakfast at our church, but it was difficult to make it out of the house, without children, on a Saturday morning.  My attendance was sporadic.  I tried to find a MOPS group, but there wasn’t one close by. 

Finally, I felt like the Lord was leading me to start a Mom’s Fellowship in my home.  I wanted to have a fellowship and sharing time with other moms, but not have to worry about child care.  So last fall I invited a couple of friends over.  My apartment was small, but we just worked with what we had.  Our group has grown since then, and now it goes something like this…

The group is for moms who have at least one child who is five or under.  I wanted to focus on moms who are in this hard stage of raising lots of littles, and I also just don’t have room for everyone in my house, so we had to limit it somehow.  Everyone brings their own sack lunch, and the hostess provides the coffee and dessert.  We let the kids play in the kids’ room while we chat, have a short devotional time, and then pray. 

I was initially very nervous about what I would share at these gatherings.  But I usually just share what the Lord has been teaching me through my devotions – it almost always relates to my mothering.  It prompts a discussion, and we all share. 

img_3710
This month everyone was able to attend – we had 12 kids and 7 moms!

I have been so blessed by this time – just once a month – but so nice to get together with other moms and share our hearts and struggles.  I have learned that I’m not really the one struggling with certain issues, and I have been encouraged by the victories of others.  Our group is also a little unique in that almost all of us are involved in vocational ministry. 

Probably the biggest blessing that has come of this is that I have gained friends.  I never had a lot of friends or very close friends as I was growing up.  It was probably my fault – I tended to be independent and I didn’t always follow the crowd.  When I went to Ambassador Baptist College the Lord answered a long-time prayer and gave me a “best” friend.  Danielle is like the sister I never had.  The problem is that she lives in Florida, and I live in New York City, and travel is expensive.  But the Lord has used these ladies in my mom’s fellowship group to fill that gap.  As we share in each other’s burdens we grow closer together and we are strengthened in our walks with the Lord.

So…if you have ever wanted to be a part of something like this, but you don’t know of a group to join up with, let me encourage you to step out and start a group up on your own.  It does take a little bit of work, but the blessings are so worth it!

Comments