Vacation, part 2–The Pittsfield Garden Tour

{Read part 1 here}

On Saturday Elaine and I joined Grandma Fezzi and Auntie Mere and some friends for the annual Pittsfield Garden Tour.  My mother-in-law has been attending this every year for some time now.  She started a tradition of decorating a new hat to wear each year.  Her group of ladies have become known as the “hat ladies”.  Ever since I found out about it, I have wanted to attend.  But…there was always something else on the agenda.  So this year I finally got to attend!  And I got a special treat because Elaine came along too.

Pittsfield Garden Tour

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Me, Mom Hamilton, Mere, and Elaine

We thought it was going to rain, but the Lord held it off until the tour was done.  We saw some amazing gardens!  It made me a bit jealous, and I found myself wishing I lived in the country!  There were seven stops on the tour this year.  We broke for lunch at Lauren Johnson’s house halfway through.

Pittsfield Garden Tour
:: The Hat Ladies ::
Michelle & Sarah Kunzmann, Auntie Mere, Lori, Mom Hamilton, Lauren Johnson, Me, and Elaine

Pittsfield Garden Tour
The Holly Hock House – a B&B run by an 85 year old lady who does all of the gardens herself.

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Mom’s hat, made to match her dress – perfectly!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Elaine didn’t really want her picture taken… but I wanted one by the daisies – my favorites!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Everyone’s hats

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Mere’s hat – very classy!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
I loved the way these looked – don’t know what they are called!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
My sign would say, “My Garden was alive last week.  Sorry you missed it.”  I somehow did NOT get the green thumb from my mom and grandpa!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
So many herbs sprinkled throughout the gardens!

Pittsfield Garden Tour

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Perhaps this house was Elaine’s favorite.  The hostess had chocolate chip cookies out for everyone!

Pittsfield Garden Tour   Pittsfield Garden Tour
I think I was told this purple flower is called a Pincusion flower?!?  Loved the rock footprints too!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Can’t believe how big and grown up she is!

Pittsfield Garden Tour

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Sarah came along with her mom this year, and Elaine made a new friend!

At each house on the tour, there was a fairy house in the garden.  The little girls were given bubbles and told to blow bubbles at the fairy house to get the fairies to come out.  That was a hard one to explain to Elaine {since we know that fairies are not real!}  By the last stop, she had caught onto the game.  When she was handed her bubbles she looked at the nice man and said, “Is this for the fairies?”  Some of the little houses were very amazing  in their construction, though!

Pittsfield Garden Tour  Pittsfield Garden Tour
All of the little details – rope ladders, rock lined paths, berry wreaths on the doors…

Pittsfield Garden Tour
This one was my favorite!

Pittsfield Garden Tour

Pittsfield Garden Tour 
To give you an idea of how miniature it was…

Pittsfield Garden Tour
This one made me think of my dad – it was all antlers!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Blowing bubbles to get the fairies out…she didn’t understand why it didn’t work!

Pittsfield Garden Tour
Erin joined us after the first stop.

We had a wonderful time!  It was something that my mom would greatly enjoy too.  Maybe one year we can all do it together!

Comments