“You’ve Got Mail!”

In college Danielle and I would quote great movie lines to each other.  We had a line for every situation.  Something would happen, one of us would quote a movie, we would crack up laughing, and reminisce about the movie.  Of course, our selections were usually “chick flicks!”  Confession: my favorite movie of all time is the chick flick You’ve Got Mail, starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.  (Disclaimer: you need to watch it with a TV Guardian).  Bookstores, New York City, an email romance with someone who turns out to be your enemy…does it get any better?  This movie is just full of wonderful, quotable lines!

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe LaloOne of the best parts about You’ve Got Mail is that it is set in the upper west side of Manhattan.  Danielle and I loved everything New York City in the movie!  There is one seen where the main characters meet at a cafe…Cafe Lalo.  It is a real place on 83rd and Amsterdam Ave.  I thought it would be fun to go there when Danielle was in town.  So we did!

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo Everything is just exactly like the movie, right down to the twinkle lights on the trees outside!  According to the internet, Cafe Lalo’s claim to fame is their cameo in You’ve Got Mail.  They are also known for fine dessertsDanielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo

made by H. Lalo.  It is a sit-down cafe, but we were able to order our coffee to go.  There are pictures in the front windows from the filming of the movie.   It was a lovely experience!

The hostess stood outside on the steps.  It appeared as if her main job was to take pictures of everyone underneath the sign.  Well at least that’s all I saw her doing!

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo Me & Danielle at Cafe Lalo

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo Elaine wasn’t nearly as thrilled as I was…the movie pics are behind us!

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo

Danielle Visits NYC - Cafe Lalo

Some memorable lines from You’ve Got Mail:

  • “Don’t you just love New York in the fall?  It makes me want to buy school supplies.  I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address…”
  • “What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you.”
  • “We all have our moments of brilliance and glory, and this was mine!”
  • “The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what they’re doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino.”
  • “Do you know what? We are going to seduce them. We're going to seduce them with our square footage, and our discounts, and our deep armchairs, and... Our cappuccino. Do you know why? Because we're going to sell them cheap books and legal addictive stimulants. In the meantime, we'll just put up a big sign: ‘Coming soon: a FoxBooks superstore and the end of civilization as you know it.’”
  • “I love daisies. They're so friendly. Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?”  (and that is partly why daisies are my favorite flower too!)

Comments

  1. cool...can we go there when I come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies of all time too! All those quotes were ones I knew too! I've seen it about a bazillion times! How fun that you got to go to the cafe! Maybe someday for me!! Woo-hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh! :) 'You've Got Mail' is our favorite movie, too!! I haven't been to cafe Lalo, but I have been to NYC, so I can almost feel the movie as we watch it. We do have a TV Guardian, by the way, and we think it's just the cutest movie ever- guess we aren't the only ones who quote it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email address if you need a response to your comment, or check back here to see my reply in the comments section.