Cooking to Fill My Freezer

I’ve been freezing some meals and things so that I don’t have to cook right away after the baby is born.  My freezer space is very limited, but I’m working with it!  Here is what we have ready:

PICT0007 Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins 
1 batch.  I found this recipe via Money Saving Mom.

 

Sloppy Joes 
2 batches.  This is the best ever recipe, compliments of my mom!

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. chili sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. mustard
8 oz. tomato sauce

Directions:
Brown beef and onion; drain grease.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Serve on hamburger buns.  We like to eat ours with American cheese on top!

Southwest Burritos 
1 batch.  I made a batch and split it.  We ate half last for supper last night, and I froze the other half.  It was a new recipe, so I wanted to make sure we liked it before making a bunch for the freezer.

Cous-cous
This can’t be made ahead of time, but it is easy and very filling.  I learned to eat this meal while I was in Spain for my missions internship.  Even though Ben doesn’t like Beef Stew, he likes it served over cous-cous.  I buy the stew meat or beef blade steaks for $2 or less on the markdown meat rack.  I have two batches in the freezer.

Ingredients:
Stewing beef, or beef steak cut into small pieces
Zucchini
Onion
Broccoli
Carrots
Cous-cous (available by the rice)

Directions:
Make a sort of stew by boiling vegetables in water until tender.  Flour the beef and brown in a little bit of oil.  Add beef to the vegetables, along with cornstarch to thicken the sauce.  Make sure to stir the cornstarch into the water or it will taste starchy!  Prepare cous-cous according to directions.  Serve the stew over the cous-cous.  I make my stew with very little water so that it seems more like beef with vegetables than beef stew (for Ben).

Cowboy Soup
1 batch.  I froze half of this soup when we had it a couple of weeks ago.  It is too much for us to eat by ourselves!  I previously blogged the recipe here.  It comes from our friend Gizelle Greene in NC.

Chicken Tetrazzini
2 batches.  This is also a new recipe from Money Saving Mom

Pizza
I also have some pizza dough frozen and ready to thaw for an easy pizza night.  We eat pizza every Friday night.  I recently started using this recipe from Money Saving Mom for dough that doesn’t have to rise.  I use about 2/3 of the dough to make one large pizza, so I make a double batch of dough and get three pizzas.

That is about all that my freezer can handle.  I’m sure it will be enough to get me back on my feet and meal planning after baby comes!

Comments