Among All Nations

The last couple of weeks have been very challenging for me on deputation.  I am tired, I am behind in homeschooling, and we have changed locations quite a few times.  When the schedule is normal, it is difficult for me to find a consistent time for my Bible reading.  When the schedule is crazy, my Bible time is crazy, and off, and short, and pushed aside too.  As much as I want to do it, it just often doesn’t happen when we are packing to leave a hotel, attending morning chapel services in a missions conferences, or being out late with evening services.  Often when I do sit down, I get drowsy and struggle to study.  Though I am partially through a 30 day Bible Study for Busy Mamas, its been a while since I have been able to finish a lesson.  I’ve been sticking pretty close to the five Psalms and one Proverb a day plan.

I noticed a theme in my Psalms over the last few days.

--Ps. 86:9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.

--Ps. 96:3-5, 10 Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.
4 For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
10 Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously.

--Ps.97:1 The LORD reigneth: let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad thereof.

--Ps. 98:2 The LORD hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.

--Ps. 100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

The Lord’s plan is for all people – all nations, islands, lands – to know Him and worship Him.  With the difficulties that come in a mobile lifestyle, its really easy to get focused on myself and my family and our needs.  I sometimes forget why we are doing this in the first place.  We are trying to get to the Bronx, a multi-cultural city within a city, so that we can share the Gospel with those who have not heard.  To give Christ to people from all nations who are coming to our land. To tell the good news of salvation to others so that they in turn can take it to their people and nation. 

It’s not easy now, to live on the road with five little people in tow.  It won’t be easy then, in the Bronx, to keep our focus on the purpose for which God has called us to the city.  I’m sure the temptation will be to fall into a “normal” routine and lifestyle.  To focus on myself, and my family, and our needs.  To get lost in homeschooling and homemaking and church activities. 

Ben preaches a message from 2 Kings 6-7 about those who have experienced the salvation of the Lord, and their responsibility to share it with those who are dying inside the city.  He preaches it often while we are traveling.  But I guess I need to be reminded of that message – repeatedly.  I need to remember my calling to share the Gospel everywhere.  To make evangelism a focus in my lifestyle.  Because its so easy to forget and neglect when we get caught up in ourselves.  Like the four lepers in 2 Kings 7, we get consumed with eating, and drinking, and hiding our treasures.  We “forget” (or ignore?) the city just over the hill that is starving to death.

I want to remember the nations of the world everyday.  Today, throughout the rest of deputation, and when we get to the Bronx.

Comments