Miracles

Today I had a follow-up ultrasound, to get some more pictures of the baby’s heart.  He is breech right now, so it’s hard for them to see everything they want to see!  Though this is only my fourth pregnancy, I have had a lot of ultrasounds!  (One or two every month with the twins!).  Yet I always stare at that screen in amazement – that we can look at our unborn baby and see his development, movement, and anatomy, and detect any possible problems – weeks before the baby ever takes his first breath of air or utters his first cry.  I think if I ever had a job in the medical field, I would want to be a sonogram technician!

Ten days ago the first thing I saw on the screen was our baby boy taking his thumb out of his mouth and then stretching his leg to give me a giant kick.  Today I saw all four chambers of his heart pumping. 

I guess sometimes as a mom of four little people, I get all caught up in the daily moments that make up life.  Wiping noses, changing diapers, grilling cheese sandwiches, giving baths, walking to the park, folding laundry, and answering a million questions.  I don’t know that it’s really sunk in that I’m expecting again.  It’s just part of life right now, and it’s happening quietly while all of the noise and busyness on the outside continues.  There are so many busy moments right now that I haven’t thought about what’s going on inside of me.

But when you see a baby – so very clearly a created little baby – on that screen in the darkened room, you remember that God is in the business of miracles.  He created this little life inside of me and He is growing it and perfecting it until the moment I give birth.  And then the growing process will continue, but He will place a lot more of the decisions and responsibility in my hands, to nurture this baby for 18-20ish years.  It’s just amazing.  It’s a miracle.

Here are a couple of recent pictures of our little miracle.  (Both profile pictures, with the head to the left, and the nose and mouth towards the top).

Its a Boy
In this picture, the baby had just moved his arm down from his mouth.

Baby #5 25 weeks
It looks like his mouth is open here – that’s his tongue sticking out!

Comments