Rainbow Rice

We made this a couple of weeks ago, but I never posted the pictures.  Inspired by Pinterest, and my friend Sarah, we colored rice to make an indoor “sandbox.”

Rainbow Rice
Similar to coloring eggs, use 1-2 Tbsp of vinegar and some food coloring.  My food coloring was the gel kind, so I shook it up in the vinegar until dissolved, before adding 1 1/2 cups of rice.  Then shake to coat the rice – we used a canning jar and plastic lid.

Rainbow Rice
Lay the rice out on a foil covered cookie sheet.  Bake at 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes (to dry the rice).  Then have fun!  We had neon rice in four colors.

Rainbow Rice
Elaine used her play dishes, empty spice bottles, and measuring cups to have fun!

Rainbow Rice

Rainbow Rice

I also hid some small toys in the rice while Elaine was closing her eyes.  Then she had to dig through the rice to find the treasures.  We had too much fun, and she has asked to play with the rice on several occasions since!

Comments