Statement of Results

Well, as went the nation, so went my state, so went my precinct. As the 3rd largest precinct in Virginia Beach City, we had around 4500 registered voters. 300 voted by absentee ballot. Around 2100 showed up at the polls. There were around 1200 votes for Obama and about 963 votes for McCain. It just wasn't enough.

When I arrived at the polling place at approximately 4:58 am, there was already a line of voters from the door down to the curb, waiting in the rain, for the polls to open at 6am. From the time the polls opened until around 10:30 am, the line was 2-3 wide, down to the street (our polling place is the Eastern Shore Chapel, an Episcopalian Church). From 10:30ish until 1:30ish, the flow inside was still heavy and steady, although the line outside was not as long. We had a brief reprieve around 1:30, and then it picked up again until 4:30. Between 4:30 and 5:00, for the first time all day, there was no one in the "H-O" line. After 5:30, things pretty much died, much to our surprise. We expected a line, especially with people getting off work around 5.

I was on my feet for most of the day. I think I sat at the pollbook for a total of two hours, and I worked the voting units and crowd control for the other 14 hours. I was thankful for my coffee, and for the Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger that Ben brought to me, along with a free Starbucks for wearing an "I Voted" sticker. I met some very nice people, and I had a good time.

These are my consolations at the outcome of the election:
1. It doesn't look like a filibuster-proof senate was obtained for the Dems.
2. The Gay Marriage ban passed in California.
3. "He shall not be afraid of evil tiding: his heart is fixed trusting in the LORD." Psalm 112:7
4. "This is my Father's world - O let me ne'er forget, That tho' the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet."
5. Whether or not Obama knows it, his heart is still in God's hands, "and as the rivers of water, He turneth it whithersoever He will." (Proverbs 21:1)
6. No matter what happens to our country in the next four years, the blame should be laid at the feet of the Democrats, because they possess total power. However, realistically, I know they will find a way to shift the blame to the Republicans. They always do.
7. Whatever happens to America, my eternal destiny is settled. I know where I am going.
8. As long as God wants me here, I am safest in the center of His Will.

Comments