Orchard Beach

On Monday we checked the first item off our bucket list...Orchard Beach!  We hit 91 degrees that day, and we were tired after having a mission team here for a week.  The kids were thrilled to go to the beach.  The water was pretty chilly, but we arrived at low tide so the tide pools were full of "treasures" to explore.  The tide was coming in as we left, and that's when the trash washes in!

Nolan found a shell while we were wading.  He stepped on it under the water, then dove to retrieve it.  It was a small shell with a hermit crab inside!  We added another shell to his bucket that I found, and by the end of our visit we had seen the crab attempt to change shells.  In the end he chose neither shell, and our prodding and watching may have been his demise.  :-(

We also rememebered our sunscreen this time (how did I forget last time?!?!) and managed to return home unburned.

I'm not a beach person at all - I much prefer mountains!  Really, I like the water.  But I despise sand.  It's all just a big mess and it drives me nuts.  But I had a good time and the clean up wasn't too bad this time!

Walking to the boardwalk.



Sandcastle building


Nehemiah the sand monster


More sandcastle


 
First dip in the water


Selfie with mom

Orchard Beach, the "Bronx Riviera"


Nolan's Hermit Crab





Comments