These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Here are a few favorites from recent weeks...

::| HAS Fit on YouTube
I've been using this for exercising at home.  I love that there is very little background music, and it's a husband/wife duo that lead the exercises.  Claudia always does an easier version of the particular exercise move, and Coach Kozak does a more challenging move.  This allows me to customize my workout to what I can do!  They have exercises for every level.  There is a monthly schedule that will work through all muscle groups, or you can select individual workout videos.  There is an app now, but I think it's kind of small to watch the videos on my phone. 

::| Skillet Cookie
I bought this mini cast iron skillet on Amazon as an add-on item.  Since then we've been enjoying skillet cookie desserts at home!  This recipe comes out just right, and topped with lots of ice cream, it's the perfect dessert!  Each of our kids got to help make and eat one on their stay-up-late nights in March, and they loved it too!

::| Homemaker's Friend Planner
I really love this planner - it lets me have a place to jot all my notes, but I still keep a primarily digital monthly calendar on Google Calendar (so it can sync to Ben and mobile).  I love the section for the menu, the Bible verses (KJV!) spread throughout the pages, and the perforated shopping lists.  Plus it's super affordable, especially compared to Erin Condren and those types of planners.

::| VidAngel
We don't really watch very much that doesn't go through this streaming filter program.  I can customize the filters to very strict for the kids, even taking out "slang" words and derrogatory language.  The subscription fee is very reasonable for unlimited streaming per month, though some movies do requrie a rental fee through Amazon.  We use this with Netflix (thanks Wesley!) and Amazon Prime.

::|  BJU Distance Learning Videos
Last year Elaine did videos for every subject in 2nd grade.  This was a lifesaver as we finished deputation!  Now that we are more settled we use videos for about half of our subjects.  I really like the Bible program.  I was struggling to teach Bible class in homeschool because I always wanted to dive right into the daily required subjects, but then we squeezed Bible right out of the schedule.  Now we use the videos and the kids begin their school day with Bible class.  But since it's a video, I can finish up breakfast dishes, settle the three younger kids, (take a shower), start the laundry, or whatever while they are working on school without me.  And each Bible lesson includes memory work, each unit teaches a new hymn (I absolutely LOVE this), application stories, and a few crafts are sprinkled in.  Pretty good deal for $50 right?  And that includes all the workbooks!

I am very pleased with BJU curriculum - since my mom used a lot of it on me, I already knew what to expect.  But the videos for English, History, and Science, have made it easier for me to incorporate more variety and crafts/hands on activities.   Usually they offer a deal for 50% off if you order 6 subjects.  With two kids in class, I can always get 6 subjects, and it includes all the textbooks, workbooks, tests, etc.

::| Bible Truth Hymnal
We ordered this hymnal for our church plant...and we really love it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Please leave your email address if you need a response to your comment, or check back here to see my reply in the comments section.