Swedish Meatballs Recipe and more

One of our favorite meals has become Swedish Meatballs.  Honestly…I was never a meatball person.  So I never really cooked them for my family.  But in January we joined BJ’s and I found that a big bag of meatballs was really cheap.  So I started searching Pinterest for recipes, and experimenting on my family. And I found that the kids really like meatballs!  They especially like Swedish meatballs, though I usually take the big bag and make one meal of Swedish Meatballs and one meal of Honey Garlic Meatballs.  So we have Swedish Meatballs night and it’s everyone’s favorite.  There are never any leftovers!  And we really haven’t gotten past those two recipes yet because we like them so much! 

These are the original recipes that I found:

But of course… I have tweaked them to be a little more my style.

IMG_5576Swedish Meatballs

  • 1 can cream mushroom soup
  • 1 can (15 oz.) beef broth (close enough to 2 cups, and uses the whole can so there’s no leftovers)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestshire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. steak sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2.5 pounds meatballs (original recipe called for 28 ounce bag…I use half of my BJ’s bag)
  • 1 cup sour cream

Place all ingredients from mushroom soup to pepper in slower cooker and stir to combine.  Add meatballs and stir to coat all meatballs with the sauce.  Cook on low for 4 hours.  Remove meatballs to a bowl.  Add sour cream to sauce in slow cooker and whisk to combine well.  You could also transfer the sour cream and the sauce to a skillet and heat on medium to thicken, but I don’t like the extra dishes.  {wink}  Pour sauce over meatballs and serve over egg noodles.  (I cook up about 3/4 a bag of egg noodles).  Watch them disappear!


Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Meatballs

(I have adapted the original recipe ingredients to make a bigger portion)

  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 40 ounces (2.5 pounds) frozen meatballs.  (I get the Italian style meatballs at BJs)

Place all ingredients except meatballs into slow cooker and whisk to combine.  Hint – spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before measuring the honey and it will slide right out with much less mess!  Add meatballs and stir to coat.  Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.  Serve over rice.

Comments